July 4th Pet Safety - Tips & Tricks to Beat Those Fireworks Fears
by Lauren on Jun 24, 2018
While the 4th of July festivities can be a blast for some, there are still many humans and animals who are affected by the explosive sound of fireworks. In fact, more pets run away on the 4th of July than any other day of the year. The good news is that there are things you can do to help comfort your pet and treat his anxiety, so your whole family can enjoy the holiday festivities together.
While some dogs don't flinch at loud noises caused by fireworks, others become extremely anxious. If you have a nervous dog, there are ways to ease their anxiety! While some products may knock your dog out or make her sleepy, these products have all-natural, safe ingredients and are drug-free.
There are plenty of different natural approaches you can choose from to help treat your pet's anxiety symptoms. Whether for a dog or a cat, whether in treat form or aromatherapy diffusion, we've got you covered. Check out our list below of brands we trust and products we believe in:
- ThunderEase - from the makers behind the ThunderShirt comes a line of calming collars, diffusers, and calming sprays for both Dogs AND Cats!
- Homeopet Anxiety Tfln Drops - Homeopathic remedy provides relief from fear of: Fireworks, Wind, Loud Noises, Gunshots. Restless, anxious and unwanted behavior can be helped with this fast acting, non-sedating liquid. Safe for both Dogs AND Cats!
- Prosense Plus Calming Tablets - ProSense Calming Solutions are formulated with chamomile, ginger root and valerian root to help keep dogs relaxed. Our formula contains antioxidants to support immunity and provide support during environmental stress. Safe for Dogs.
- Animals' Apawthecary Comfort Plus - California Poppy (Eschscholizia californica) and Skullcap (Scutellaria laterifolia). Both are regarded by herbalists as reliable agents for promoting comfort and a a relaxed state of being. Safe for dogs.
- Comfort Zone Dap For Dogs - The Comfort Zone Diffuser with Adaptil dispenses a drug-free, odorless vapor that mimics a dog’s natural calming pheromones. This vapor signals to your dog that the area is safe and secure, reducing your dog’s unwanted behaviors.
- NaturVet Quiet Moment + - Our unique blend of thiamine and L-tryptophan help reduce stress and tension. Ginger supports sensitive stomachs which is especially important when traveling, while melatonin helps to promote rest and relaxation. Safe for Dogs.
- K10+ Calming Water Additive Dog Supplement - Our K-10+ Water Soluble Calming Formula is for dogs exhibiting nervousness, hyperactivity, anxiety or responding to environmentally induced stress.
- Bach's Rescue Remedy - Whatever stresses out your pets, veterinarian recommended Rescue Remedy Pet can help calm them down - naturally, From fireworks and thunderstorms, to vet visits and road trips, pet experience stress too, and alcohol-free Rescue Remedy Pet can help*. Safe for dogs AND cats!
You can also....
- Keep your pet in an interior room or take her to an area where there are no big fireworks displays planned.
- Turn on music, television or even an air conditioning unit to help drown out loud noises.
- Give her something all-natural to chew on! This will help distract her and can help satiate the need to nervously chew on things like furniture, shoes or carpet.