Medicinal Mushrooms For Dogs: Multi-Dimensional Healing
When it comes to natural healing for your dog, you can’t go wrong with mushrooms. There have been tons of amazing results using mushrooms as a natural remedy for many different health issues, from regulating blood pressure to treating cancer.
There’s not any one plant that can do as much as a mushroom can, they’re miracle plants.
Mushrooms are really versatile natural plants and they serve four major functions:
- Prevention (disease)
- Regeneration (cells)
- Protection (cancer, radiation)
- Intervention (treatment)
This is because of their nutritional value. They contain:
- Minerals: potassium, selenium, sulfur, sodium, geranium, zinc, phosphorus
- Sugars: mannitol, xylose, glucose, galactose, mannose
- Vitamins: B complex, folic acid, pro-vitamin D
- Protein: essential amino acids
- Enzymes: antibacterial, proteolytic
- Lipids: phospholipids, sterols, sterol esters, free fatty acids, mono-, di- and triglycerides
- Polysaccharides: glycogen, beta-D-glucans, chitin
- Essential oils: triterpenes
Medicinal Mushrooms For Dogs
Reishi, Shiitake, Maitake, Turkey Tail and Cordyceps: These are the power mushrooms. Research shows they can improve immune system function and have a wide range of other important health benefits for your dog. You can combine them to get the different benefits and support the healing properties of each one.
1. Reishi Mushrooms
Reishi mushrooms are known as the mushroom of immortality. They have anti-tumor effects, anti-inflammatory, antiviral and immune-stimulating properties. This makes them great for boosting overall health.
In dogs, reishi mushrooms are used to:
- Help improve heart health
- Improve immune system function
- Improve liver function
- Inhibit antihistamine release
- Improve endurance
- Relieve pain
Reishi mushrooms are typically used to treat:
- Heart disease
- Viral upper respiratory tract infections
- Compromised immune systems
2. Shiitake Mushrooms
Shiitake mushrooms have 30 different enzymes and 10 amino acids. They also have minerals like calcium, zinc, magnesium, iron and selenium. That makes them really useful when it comes to your dog’s health (and your own for that matter).
They stimulate white blood cells and improve circulation. They can also inhibit tumor growth and lower cholesterol.
Shiitake mushrooms are used to:
- Reduce the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation
- Treat Cushing’s disease
- Help soothe bronchial inflammation
- Regulate urinary incontinence
- Reduce allergy symptoms
3. Maitake Mushrooms
Maitake means “dancing mushroom” in Japanese. These mushrooms are known to stimulate t-cells, inhibit tumor growth and lower cholesterol.
Maitake mushrooms are good for:
- Preventing cancer
- Supporting the body during chemotherapy and other cancer treatment
- Helping manage diabetes
- Supporting dogs with liver problems
4. Turkey Tail
Turkey tail mushrooms are full of beta-glucan polysaccharides. These are the essential sugars in the body that aid in activating the immune system. This can help protect the body from infection and fight off disease.
A study done by the Veterinary School at the University of Penn State looked at dogs with hemangiosarcoma. This is a common cancer found almost exclusively in dogs. Dogs treated with a compound derived from the turkey tail mushroom had the longest survival times ever reported for dogs with the disease.
But these mushrooms are good for more than just cancer. Turkey tail mushrooms can:
- Help heal pulmonary disorders
- Treat the inflammation of the urinary and digestive tracts
- Decrease the effects of chemotherapy and radiation
5. Cordyceps Mushrooms
Wild cordyceps mushrooms actually grow on caterpillars. This makes them really expensive to harvest. Luckily, they’re also cultivated by growers. Although cultivated mushrooms may not be quite as potent as wild ones, they’re way more wallet friendly.
Cordyceps have antifungal and antibacterial properties. They also Studies show that cordyceps mushrooms have impressive antitumor properties. They can protect against liver and heart disease as well.
Cordyceps are also good for treating:
- Leaky gut syndrome
- Chronic liver disorders
- Kidney failure
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Lung carcinoma
- Geriatric disorders
You can find our mushroom blend here
Find all of our vitamins and supplements here