Did you know that raw pet food comes in shelf-stable forms? Many pet owners are intrigued by the raw diet but don’t have freezer space for their pet’s food.
Shelf-stable raw food options include: freeze-dried, dehydrated, and air dried foods. Today we will be sharing a few facts and tips about freeze-dried and dehydrated options for your dog or cat.
Benefits of Raw Food
- Many different forms of raw food (including shelf-stable).
- Cost effective when compared to dry food.
- Foods are not cooked so the nutrients are intact & bio-available.
- More nutrient-dense than dry and wet foods.
- Less stool! Raw food is almost fully absorbed, so the body produces less waste.
- Raw food does not cling to the teeth the way dry food does. This can help improve teeth, oral health, & breath!
- Improves digestion & immune system.
- Improves skin & coat.
- Can reduce allergy symptoms.
- Helps with weight management.
- Gives your pet more stamina to do the things that they love!
- No need to worry about salmonella & other food-borne pathogens!
Freeze-Dried Food Process:
Freeze-dried products start as frozen, raw meat. In the beginning stage all of the moisture in the raw food is ice. The product then goes into a freeze-dryer which acts as a vacuum with extremely cold temperatures. The ice will then change into water vapor. This turns the frozen meat into dry, freeze-dried food without having to thaw or cook the meat. The raw meat is now shelf-stable and ready for your pet to enjoy!
Dehydrated Food Process:
Fun fact: dehydrating food is actually one of the oldest methods of food processing! Tried and true, right? This process slowly & gently removes the moisture from meat/other ingredients. When the food is heated and extremely low temperatures it can still maintain all of its nutrients, unlike dry kibble and cooked wet food. This creates a shelf-stable product that your pet will love!
Benefits of Dehydrated & Freeze-Dried Raw:
- Shelf-stable raw is better than other shelf-stable food options. Dry kibble and wet foods lack a lot of the nutrients that are kept in raw food due to heat-exposure.
- Doesn’t take up all of your freezer space!
- Dehydrated & freeze-dried raw foods travel extremely well, making your pet’s vacation, adventure, or stay at daycare much easier!
- Quick & easy prep!
Freeze-Dried Brand Recommendation:
Dehydrated Brand Recommendation:
Quick & Easy Food Prep:
- Just add warm water to re-hydrate and let the food sit for a minute before feeding! Adding water reconstitutes the food, giving it it’s normal aroma & texture.
Are you ready to make the switch to raw? Come in to our store today and ask about our shelf-stable or frozen options! Are you located outside of Chicago? Visit our website pawnaturals.com to order shelf-stable raw food for your pet! We will ship it to your door! Your pet will love you for keeping their health in mind and making the switch to a raw diet.